After the player has destroyed a certain number of planets, it becomes possible to enter a Black Hole.
Black Hole Formation
It takes 25 planets for a Black Hole to finish forming the first time. This number is increased by 2 planets for each Black Hole the player has entered previously.
It becomes possible to enter a Black Hole when its formation has reached 100%. This percentage cannot be exceeded and will remain the same even if the player keeps destroying new planets without entering the Black Hole.
Black Hole Reset
Entering a Black Hole resets:
- Gene Strand and colony upgrades
- Destroyed planets
- Planetary Discoveries
Black Hole does not reset:
- Premium upgrades
- Colony irradiation levels
- Dark Matter Institute technologies
Resources that will be lost:
- Gene Strands
- Bacteria colonies
- Most of the Evolved and Mutated Bacteria
Resources that won't be lost:
Evolved Bacteria have a default 10% chance to survive a Black Hole. This can be increased through Bacteria Irradiation. Before entering a Black Hole, the player will also be prompted to secure up to two Evolved Bacteria that will definitely survive.
The amount of Dark Matter depends on how many Gene Strands a player has.
- DarkMatterEarned - how much Dark Matter will be earned if the player enters a Black Hole
- UnspentGeneStrands - how many Gene Strands the player currently owns
It makes no difference whether the particular Gene Strand has been obtained from the Evolved Bacteria effect or it is obtained as a base drop from killed planet population. However, Gene Strands that have been spent on upgrades do not count towards how much Dark Matter is earned.
A player who has reached planet 25 can receive approximately 390 units of Dark Matter. If the player has used Evolved Bacteria that grants more Gene Strands, this number can potentially be bigger.
Entering a Black Hole unlocks:
- Dark Matter Institute
- Bacteria Irradiation (unlocked when the 5th planet after the first Black Hole has been destroyed)
- A new Mineral Fusion recipe (each Black Hole unlocks at least one new recipe until all of them have been unlocked)
Entering a Black Hole also changes parts of planet descriptions.
Initially, the Dark Matter drops were limited to 800 units when entering a Black Hole for the first time. This limit was removed at a later version.